Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Me Made May Day 20 and another Tilton Tee

Last night I could not sleep.  I woke up at 2 and tried reading, but that did not put me back to sleep.  Some things at work were bothering me and I'm not a good sleeper to begin with.  Finally, at 4, I decided to get up and do some sewing.  I had cut out another T earlier in the evening, so I decided to go ahead and make it for work tomorrow.  I had my sweet grand daughter spending the night, so I knew I had to get her up and ready to go down the hill with me no later than 7.  Well, I'm obviously not the fastest sewist in the world because I finished my top at 6:30.
I made a few little changes on this one.

  • First, I lowered the neckline by 3/4" at CF and used the french curve to taper back up to where the neckline meets the sleeve.  This neckline feels much better on me, and I may lower it even a little bit more.  Unless it's a turtleneck, I really don't like high necklines very much. I don't need anything that visually increases the length from neck to bust - the girls are getting lower every year and don't need any emphasis on their new location!!
  • I retraced the front and left out the dart at the CF.  I rotated that to the arm, meaning that I took the 3/8" off where the front meets the sleeve at the neck and tapered it to nothing where the side seam meets the back side seam.  This sounded good in theory and it actually worked!
  • I used a contrast band for the neckline because I think prints need something to break them up
  • This one is a jersey and not an interlock.  I got it from Peggy Sager, but I don't remember the fabric content.  It feels like a rayon/poly/lycra blend.  You can always tell when fabric has lycra in it because when you pull it and let it go, it makes the sound like a rubber band!  That, Ladies, is my scientific method of fabric identification!
  • I used my coverstitch to hem the sleeves and bottom hem.  ( I used steam a seam first to hold them hems in place so they would not slip while I was hemming them. )
I really like this T.  It is more comfortable than the other one (lace always makes me itch) and the jersey drapes much better than interlock.  Interlock is easier to work with, but this was actually a well-behaved jersey.  It didn't roll too much and wasn't horrible to cut.  One tip I use when cutting knits like this is to snip the selvedges every couple of inches to help them lie flat.  It seems that the selvedges always shrink either more or less than the fabric, and then the fabric won't lie flat to cut it out.  Snipping the edges really helps.

The pants are one of my favorite (well, my only right now) knit pants.  I didn't realize how long I've had these until I looked up the review to check the pattern number.  No wonder they're getting worn - they're 4 years old and I wear them a lot!
They are V1197, a Sandra Betzina pattern - I believe this one is still in print, too.
By the way, I took these pictures after a long day at work, and my outfit still looks good.  Yes, the comfort and beauty of knits!  It was so nice out on the deck, that I just wanted to sit there and blog for a while.  That didn't happen because I had to get ready for a group of ladies to come over for Bible study tonight.  I always look forward to that!

Yes, I have to say that this Marcy Tilton pattern is a keeper!