Thursday, April 21, 2022

All Well Box Top

A few weeks ago I came across the All Well Box Top pattern, and I have become obsessed with it.

For some reason, I couldn't stop thinking about it and HAD to have it.  It is a very simple pattern, but something about it made me keep thinking about it and wanting to make it when I was working on other projects.  So, yesterday I finally made it.

This is just a basic quilting cotton that I used to see how I like it.  According to the size chart, I need a size medium going to a large at the hip.  I think if I make the dress or tunic length, I would need to taper to the large.  I did in this one, but didn't need to.  I did not add darts or any kind of FBA to this.  What I did do though, was to make a 1/2" seam down the back to take out 1" extra fullness.  I have a narrow back and often have to do this - especially in boxy or loose fitting garments.  As you can see in this photo, the neckline is not in place as it should be.  I should probably cut the small in the neck and then taper out to the medium at the bust. 
Another thing I had to do was to cheat on fabric.  I did not have what was required, so I could not cut out both of my pattern pieces.  I even tried a single layout, and that didn't work either.  I ended up making a horizontal seam across the upper back to make a yoke.  Doing this allowed me to cut out everything in one direction , even though I was not using a one way print.

The cool thing about this pattern is that it comes with a hacking guide that gives you even more options than those of the original pattern.  I think this will be a fun one to fool around with.

I bought some terra cotta colored flannel that I plan to use next for a long sleeved version.

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Daisy Dress

 Lately I have really been getting back into sewing.  I am the kind of person who has to immerse herself into something in order to motivate myself do it.  I have been watching a lot of You Tube channels on sewing to get motivated.  One of my new favorites is Rosery Apparel.  After watching a number of her videos, I decided to buy the Rosa Dress and Daisy Dress.  This is the finished Daisy Dress. @Roseryapparel

I did a few adjustments, such as a FBA and Forward neck adjustment.  It is also shorter than the intended length.

Also, this fabric is my new favorite.  I happened to be in Paso Robles a few weeks ago and found Birch Street Fabrics.  They have a great selection of organic cotton and Rayon.  They have a few other fabrics as well.  The ladies that work there were very helpful and friendly.  I was surprised to find out that this is the same business as  I love the feel of this cotton.  It is a poplin, and although a little heavier than lawn, it has the same finish.  It has enough body that you could make a more structured garment (shirt, dress, shorts) but enough drape that it handles gathers.  

Our local JoAnns has a terrible supply of buttons right now, so I've started haunting Etsy and other websites looking for unique buttons.  These are simple, but beautiful wooden buttons that I found on Etsy.  I am very pleased with them and I think they work perfectly with this dress.

I did do a FBA on this dress, but using the smaller size as a starting point made the armholes too tight.  Next time I will cut the armholes in a little bit and lower them.  In fact, I am seriously considering taking the sleeves off and re-cutting the armholes.

One thing I love about this dress is that it has Pockets!

I did not have enough fabric to make this dress.  The pattern calls for 4-3/8 of 45" fabric and I only had 3 yards.  I Made it work by shortening the skirt about 8", cutting the sleeve about 1" less full, and cutting the front facing out of another fabric.  

The daisy dress has 3 sleeve options.  An elastic bottom puff sleeve, a shirred puffed sleeve, and sleeveless.  I decided to try the shirred option.  My sewing machine does not work well with shirring, so I have an OLD Pfaff that I use.  I have an extra bobbin casing that I have adjusted to work with shirring. ( i marked that case with fingernail polish so that I won't accidentally try to use it for regular sewing.). The shirring still didn't look like I gathered it up enough, but once you put some heat and steam on it, it shrink s right up.

All in all, I love this dress.  I am hoping to make the sleeveless version soon.