Thursday, March 15, 2007

More surgery - more sewing time!

Well, it seems like this has been a year of surgery for me! I just had my neck operated on for a herniated disk. I can't believe that I'm able to do as much as I can - but sleeping is the hard part. The brace makes it really difficult to get comfortable.

After making the pants from the Burda pattern, I bought more fabric to make 2 additional pair. Well, since the pr is having a “Pattern Stash” contest, each garment must be made from an unused pattern. I decided to try a Simplicity pattern (3845) that I had bought for the blouse, but it also had a pants pattern in it. They turned out well – but I need to loose at least 5 pounds!! There's more info here

I am now in the process of making Simplicity 3887. I am making view A, but using the sleeves from view D. I have had the fabric in my stash for so long, I don’t even know how old it is! It is very sheer – almost a cross between a chiffon and voile – but it is cotton – or a cotton blend. It was so soft, I was having trouble getting the fabric to lie down. I took it to my ironing board and starched it quite a bit. This has made it much easier to work with. I decided to serge the seams rather than doing French seams because some things need to be quick and easy! Besides, I’m not in love with this fabric, so I consider it a “test garment”