Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Yay - it's finished!


I spent several hours yesterday after work (actually, about 4-1/2 hours) working on my blouse and finished all except the pocket. That alone took me about an hour today. And, as it is, I wish I would have made the flaps smaller. Also, in order to wear this blouse with a belt, as is shown on the model, you would have to have it be several inches longer or the belt will cut the pocket across the middle.

I'm not thrilled with the blouse, but I have learned a lot through the process. As you can see in the picture, it pulls a little when I move my arms. I find this on a lot of my blouses and think I need more room in the front of the armhole. It really isn't that it is too high, just that it seems to be too snug in the front of the arm. I've already gone back in and altered my pattern to take 1" off the side seams on each side at the hip. I added that in and I don't like the way it makes the blouse stick out at the bottom. I would really like this better if I were to take out those flatfelled seams on the sides and take them in. This fabric is hard to "unstitch" so I doubt I will do it. Now that I have worked this hard on this pattern, I would like to make it again with a few more tweaks.

I like the long cuffs and I think they are slenderizing on the arms, but they are a bear to button. Fortunately, I can easily get my hands in and out by only unbuttoning the bottom button, so the others will stay buttoned.

13 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Nancy - its a nice looking blouse! But the most important thing is that you learned so many new things that you can apply to future blouses/shirts! Hopefully we will see more incarnations once the wardrobing contests are finished!

Lori said...

Very pretty blouse, the color looks great on you. Sounds like you learned so much in your class.

Vicki said...

It looks really good! Nice work.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I love the color on you, and the long cuffs are fun.

Anonymous said...

beautiful Blouse Nancy, the color is amazing on you

Anonymous said...

Nancy your blouse is great. THank you for sharing your process with us. I wil be coming back to this again and again. Your fitting details & photographs will help me alot.I am about to cut out a muslin for Blouse 107 from the same Burda isssue. But with a full sleeve and lengthened below the waist. I also plan to add a bib to the front.you have shown me the importance of doing the muslin & getting a good fit is al important. Hence the great result you have had. I love the pocket.

So So

Debbie Cook said...

Beautiful color and what an interesting pocket. I wonder if you actually need *less* room at the armhole ... IOW, that the shoulders are a bit too wide so the armhole seam is sitting further out than you need. Hard to say for sure with this pic, so it's just a thought I'm tossing out.

Summerset said...

I agree with Carolyn - it sounds like you've learned a lot through the class! The color is really lovely on you, too.

Tany said...

It's beautiful! This color is so becoming on you! Fabulous job!

LauraLo said...

Beautiful blouse, Nancy and I agree that the colour is absolutely great on you. I love that pocket, you know, don't give it up. The buttons are to die for too.

Sigrid said...

Beautiful blouse. Love those pocket details.

Kat said...

Looks lovely on you and very flattering!

kbenco said...

Nancy I liked the look of this blouse when you posted it on the SWAP thread, but only today have I had a chance to read all the details about the construction. I am totally impressed, and like the blouse even more in close up. Thanks for such detailed descriptions. Karen