It's finished and I even wore it to church today. I created my own lining pattern, but it's a little snug. Of course, I serged the side seams of the lining, so I can't let it out. I may end up putting in some kind of gusset - just over the butt!
Anyway, I really like this skirt. I like how the tab on the left side covers the top of the zipper. I like the flounce in the back. I like the shape of the body. All in all, I think this will be a keeper. Maybe my new TNT skirt pattern. I think I'd like to make the version with pleats or the flounces on the side.
I put a lot of extra work into this skirt. The fabric was expensive, but worth it I think. I bought it from Fashion Sewing Group. Because of that, I wanted to take extra care in the construction.
I underlined the whole skirt. All of the seams were overcast by machine or hand, and then handstitched to the underlining.
I wanted to do a lapped hand picked zipper, but when I checked my zipper stash, I didn't have one the right size/color. I did have an invisible zip though, and decided to try that by hand. I like the way it turned out, and I don't think it took any longer than doing it by machine. Also, when the bottom of the zipper was making the side of the skirt poke out, it was pretty easy to take out those handstitches and release the bottom where it was attached to the s.a.
I like the tabs on the sides of this skirt. They both button with a buttonhole. The left one covers the zipper, so you need to be able to open and close it. I got these buttons in a fabricmart button bundle one time.
I lined the skirt with ambiance rayon and also used bias strips of the same to bind the raw edges of the hem. I think this was a good idea because this fabric is really loosely woven and would probably ravel all apart.
Here is a view of the flounce in the back.
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 4:28 PM