Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wool Tweed Skirt- part 2


It's finished and I even wore it to church today. I created my own lining pattern, but it's a little snug. Of course, I serged the side seams of the lining, so I can't let it out. I may end up putting in some kind of gusset - just over the butt!
Anyway, I really like this skirt. I like how the tab on the left side covers the top of the zipper. I like the flounce in the back. I like the shape of the body. All in all, I think this will be a keeper. Maybe my new TNT skirt pattern. I think I'd like to make the version with pleats or the flounces on the side.













I put a lot of extra work into this skirt. The fabric was expensive, but worth it I think. I bought it from Fashion Sewing Group. Because of that, I wanted to take extra care in the construction.



I underlined the whole skirt. All of the seams were overcast by machine or hand, and then handstitched to the underlining.







I wanted to do a lapped hand picked zipper, but when I checked my zipper stash, I didn't have one the right size/color. I did have an invisible zip though, and decided to try that by hand. I like the way it turned out, and I don't think it took any longer than doing it by machine. Also, when the bottom of the zipper was making the side of the skirt poke out, it was pretty easy to take out those handstitches and release the bottom where it was attached to the s.a.







I like the tabs on the sides of this skirt. They both button with a buttonhole. The left one covers the zipper, so you need to be able to open and close it. I got these buttons in a fabricmart button bundle one time.




I lined the skirt with ambiance rayon and also used bias strips of the same to bind the raw edges of the hem. I think this was a good idea because this fabric is really loosely woven and would probably ravel all apart.









Here is a view of the flounce in the back.

19 comments:

Sew Shy said...

VERY cute skirt! It really suits you, and the fabric is great. I especially like the button tabs. Those are a great design feature.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Great skirt Nancy! I can see why you would make this a TNT! So how many more SWAP pieces do you have to sew?

Melissa said...

Very nice skirt Nancy!

Lori said...

Very cute skirt, it looks great on you and has some very nice design features.

Paula Gardner said...

The skirt looks great. If you don't mind my saying so, it's very flattering to your, um, backside.

Debbie Cook said...

Wow ... I'll just say it ... this skirt makes your butt looks fabulous!! The front is pretty awesome too.

Adrienne said...

What a nice skirt!

Alexandra said...

Beautiful skirt! I love the flounce in the back and the tabs just give your skirt that special touch.

Summerset said...

Very well done! I know all of the hand work was time consuming, but the result you got was worth the effort. The skirt is so well made and finished that it will last a long time.

LauraLo said...

Beautiful skirt and it does look very feminine and flattering on you. I love the tabs and the flounce.

cidell said...

Nancy, this style is so very flattering on you! I love to see the care you took with it.

Christina said...

Beautiful, and the extra details mean this skirt will last a long time.

kasizzle said...

It's beautiful and looks SO good on you!

Erica Bunker said...

Nancy,
What a great skirt. It looks wonderful on you!

Anonymous said...

this skirt looks great on you

Linda L said...

I love your skirt. You did a fantastic job and it fits you well.

Dawn said...

Very cute!! I love those 'tight around the tush, but flouncy' skirts. It looks great on you!

Marji said...

It does look great on you, and the construction is great. You'll be able to wear this one for a long long time.

Cindy May said...

i LOVE this. so sorry. been without a computer for 2 weeks!! i am getting this pattern! it is fabulous!