Saturday, March 29, 2008

I'm joining the world of coverstitching


I have been looking into cover stitch machines lately and decided to buy a Janome. I found this deal on Ebay and for $300, I think it will be worth it. I looked at the Babylock, and if we had a great dealer locally, I would have considered it for $800.00. But seeing as how our local dealer doesn't know "jack", I decided to go with the Janome coverpro. I also purchased some extra accessories, but still am getting away with about $450.00. Still far less than the 800 for the BL. Debbie Cook has great information on her site for Cover stitch machines, and there is also a thread on PR. this is the Coverpro 900. The 100 is probably better, with 4 thread,s but the price was right on this one for me. I just talked to Kevin and Ken's Sew and Vack today, and my machine should be here soon.

12 comments:

Alexandra said...

Congratulations! The coverstitch is such a useful stitch to have.

Sigrid said...

Congratulations on your new machine. I have the 1000 and the best tip I read on the PR thread for this machine was too loosen the footpressure when working with knits to prevent curling up of fabric under the foot. I loosened the pressure significantly and the result at once was much better. Till I changed that I was not sure if I was happy with my machine, now I am.
It's a great thread on PR!

Summerset said...

Cool! What a great price, too. I am getting the CP1000 later this year - my dealer is giving me a very good deal on it, too.

Anonymous said...

How neat!
Let us know how you like it..
I plan on buying the 1000 later on this year, and know I will use it more than I think.
The local dealer had the 1000 on sale for $399, a few weeks ago, and I didn't have time to go and get one.
So the next time they have one on sale, I will take the time!
Enjoy your new toy....
Enid

Debbie Cook said...

Have a great time with your new machine! You'll soon wonder how you sewed without one.

Elaray said...

I'm considering a new serger with coverstitch capability. Is there an advantage to a coverstitch machine over a serger that includes a coverstitch?

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Congrats on the new machine! I am sure that you will give it a good workout!

Nancy Winningham said...

From what I've seen, most sergers require quite a change of set up in order to use the coverstitch. THis involves changing the faceplate, blade set up, and possibly more. I'd check with your dealer to see what is involved in switching from serging to coverstitching

Christina said...

Have fun with that! I am still trying to decide on a serger...

Meg said...

Please devote some time in your blog to coverstitching once you get your machine (jealous!) I sew knits a lot and am interested in coverstitching. (Though who am I trying to kid--I just learned how to serge!)

Linda L said...

I have Coverstitch envy of all who have one, no matter the brand. Your price sounds great. Better than I have found. I need to keep looking for a GOOD bargain. Please show some of your coverstitch work when you get your machine.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I have the 1000 and I concur with Sigrid loosen the foot pressure a lot. Also the instruction manual is backwards. Lefty loosey righty tighty and you'll be very happy!