Last month Fabric Mart Fabrics issued a challenge to use all pieces from one bundle into a garment or collection of garments. I thought it sounded fun to try, so I ordered a small bundle. This is what I got:
I changed my mind several times about what I would make and what I would have go with each piece. Originally, the brown was going to be a pair of pants, but in the end I decided the fabric might drag against itself. If I were to do it all again, I would probably use the multistripe to do the finishing on the jacket and maybe some trim. Then all of the garments would be one complete outfit. But, I'm glad I made that top separate, as I can see wearing it with other things. I've been wearing it with black pants.
This is what I ended up with! (scroll down for better picture)
I really like how the garments work together, even though I would not have bought these fabrics to go together. It was a fun challenge to break up my normal sewing routine.
Here are links to more information about each fabric used and the garment:
Dark Brown Raincoat fabric - TSW Tremont Jacket
Black and White Stripe - Pattern Review Ina Skirt
Multi stripe crinkle georgette - Cutting Line Designs Light and Shadow remake
Lavender burnout print knit - Vogue 8636 Marcy Tilton Raglan Tee
I'm not happy with the collage picture above since it is not clear. I tried doing it by making a card in iphoto and then taking a screen shot of the photo. I'm going to try to do it over by using keynote.
Here is a better picture!
Thursday, March 31, 2016
Another great thing about this pattern is the way the points are finished. It is not easy to get a good finish on uneven corners, but Linda Lee's directions help you to get a nice finish like this:
This fabric did not have a lot of body, so I knew I needed to so something to keep those sleeves up. I cut strips of fabric 2.5" wide and 6 or 7 inches long. Sew up the long edge and press the seam allowance open. Turn the tube so that the seam allowance is in the middle. Do not press, but mark your point. I drew parallel lines 1/4" and 3/4" down from the edge. I then drew from the edge of the seam allowance out to the corners to make the trapezoid shape. I then stitched on the 3 lines that would make the shape. Trim and turn right side out. Make the button hole on the right side and slide over the button. Pull up the sleeve to have the amount of folding you want and trim and hand sew the straight edge of the tab to the inside.
This pattern has a lot of topstitching. If I were using a fabric with a little more body, even a quilting weight cotton, it would be fun to do some decorative stitching. The straight stitch worked well with this fabric.
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 8:45 AM
Friday, March 25, 2016
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
I decided to make a top out of the print that would work with the skirt. I think this fabric is a rayon crinkle. It's kind of sheer like a georgette.
Wednesday, March 09, 2016
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 6:25 PM
Saturday, March 05, 2016
A few years ago I bought the Ann's Cardigan and top from The Sewing Workshop. (Well, I probably bought it on Pattern Review)
I bought this pattern to make the cardigan, and I still want to do it. I was looking for a pattern to use a for a high-low tank, and ran across this in my pattern stash. It wasn't what I was looking for, but decided to give it a shot. I had some pink rayon knit that I've never known what to do with, so I used it to try this out.
I probably needed to go down a size in the neckline because it seems a bit shapeless on me. The pattern is designed to have unfinished edges, but I decided to do a shell finish edge on the neckline. My sewing machine has a stitch that does this, so that made it easy.
On this version, I left the tails unfinished, and I like the look.
The whole reason I picked this pattern was because I had something in mind that I wanted to do with a woven. Unfortunately, this took some extra work and the result was not as good as I expected. I turned under the edges twice all the way around and stitched them down.
This top may work with a belt, but it won't work for the combination I had in mind. The fit came out OK, but if I were to do this again in a woven, I would need to do a major sway back alteration, or maybe start the slits up higher. Also, I would like to find a better way to clean finish the edges of those points on the hem. But, with all the sewing projects I have lined up, I don't see that happening. If I make this again, I will stick to a knit.
Last week I made Loes Hinse's Madagascar Tank. I was hesitant to spend $20 on this simple pattern, but I'm glad I did.
Her patterns are just GOOD. This one fit me straight out of the envelope with NO alterations! of course, the drapey fabrics recommended allow for a good fit as well. I have had a few yards of this rayon crepe in my stash for years, so decided to use it. It was perfect. I can see myself making many of these. In fact, I have another cut out already.
This pattern has a CF & CB seamline. neither are straight. This is what adds some of the bust and waist shaping. All seams are serged and the neckline and armholes are just serged, turned under and stitched. Super simple and fast.
Definitely see more of these in my future.