Saturday, April 21, 2007

Simplicity 4118 Dress



I needed a diversion from my jacket so I made this dress yesterday. I have a full review atPattern Review I bought the fabric for this dress months ago, but had a hard time finding a ring for the belt front. I think there are a lot of fun things you can do with the belt. I have seen this style of bow several times in the curren Marfy catalog, and might try something like it on this dress. I really like the collar on this Marfy pattern and may have to order it.
I also have some navy fabric with white polka dots that I would like to make this dress out of. I lined the orange one with broadcloth, and since the fabric itself is a little heavy for cotton, the broadcloth makes kind of a heavy dress. It feels pretty comfortable on though, so I guess it was a good choice. I did cut the lining away at the neckline under the facings.
**You can click on any of the pix to get a better view.

The dress was a little short, so I also added a hem facing made from the lining fabric.


I finally figured out how to sew the lining to the zipper without having to do it by hand.
So, I have to say I am pleased with the finished product. I know I will wear this dress to work often.


Thanks so much for all of your comments and messages regarding my jacket. I plan to "tackle the beast" later on this evening. I'll keep my progress posted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
Why did the dress need lining?
Did the pattern call for it?
I like the way belt front is done.
Pretty dress...

Nancy Winningham said...

Yes, the pattern called for lining. If you added armhole facings, or bound them with bias, you would not need a lining. For a lighter weight dress for summer, I think I would leave the lining out.

Elaray said...

So, how DO you sew the lining to the zipper without doing it by hand?

Nancy Winningham said...

You do it before you sew the side seams. The zipper should be installed and you have the lining sewn to the neck and armholes, and the side seams are open. Open the zipper and flip the lining back to the right side. sew down one side of the zipper tape attaching the lining. Flip the lining back to the wrong side. Do the same thing on the other side. Now sew the bottom part of the lining seam below the zipper.
The next time I do it I will take pictures and make a tutorial.

Elaray said...

Thank you. A tutorial will definitely help. I really liked your hong kong finish tutorial and I'm looking forward to this one.ef

hassam said...

So, how DO you sew the lining to the zipper witSo, how DO you sew the lining to the zipper without doing it by hand?hout doing it by hand?

Nancy Winningham said...

you have to open out the lining from the hem and sew in between the lining and the dress. Pull the zipper seam allowance and lining away from the dress and stitch it at the seam line. Do this with the zipper open, then fold the lining back in place.