Friday, November 28, 2008

Two Tops



I keep saying that I'm going to do this, but I never do. I always admire people who make a pattern, and then make it again immediately. It is such a smart thing to do. First of all, you already have everything out (pattern pieces, notions, etc.)and all of the directions are fresh in your mind. If there are any fit issues, it is easy to tweak them, since you just made it and you know what needs to be changed. But do I do this? No, well, not until today. I started out making the off-white top because I needed a basic top that would go with just about everything. I wear a lot of white and off-white tops, but I never seem to have enough of them. I had this acrylic sweater knit from fabric.com and made up the top from McCalls 4517.

I also knew that I wanted to make another knit top out of this purple and black fabric. Since I already had everything out, I just cut and made another one. It took about half the time of the first, because I already knew what I was doing. I really like how the second one came out. It is from a poly lycra knit that reminds me of chrysanthemums, so I'm calling this top my "chrysanthemum top".



I did make a couple of changes on the second version. First of all, I made it about 1.5 inches longer. Next, I lengthened the dart in the front. The gathers in the front are done by taking a dart in the CF, and then gathering it up with elastic. I really like how this works, and the sleeves are done the same way.



We're going to be gone most of the day tomorrow, but I would like to get the black wool pants cut out this weekend.

14 comments:

Daisy said...

I love your tops. The purple fabric is especially beautiful. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Those both look fabulous on you. The white one is incredible- I always have the worst time sewing white shirts, since every little messup seems so obvious with nothing to hide it. Yours looks flawless from here!

I'll admit that one of the people who will crank out 3 in a row of a pattern if I like it, but I think it's because I'm such a pattern nerd that I get pattern crushes when I really like something. ;-)

Elaray said...

Very smart sewing – and very smart tops.

Alana said...

Looks great.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Those both look really good on you; I especially like the chrysanthemun top. I have made the same pattern over many times - with different fabric and a few tweaks with sleeves no one can tell

Maryissewfast said...

Nice job!!!Both tops are beautiful and the different fabrics make them unique even though they are made from the same pattern. I love the chrysanthemum fabric...I bought some from fabric.com too and I agonized between the purple colorway and the teal. I ended up with the teal and it became my favorite Chetta B mock wrap. Mary

Mariela Alethia said...

Very nice.

Alexandra said...

Beautiful tops! I like making a pattern several times in a row - it definitely cuts down on sewing time the second or third time around.

Vicki said...

Good idea doing the two together. I like the purple one best - lovely.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Great tops and each one looks different from each other!

Tesla said...

both of the tops are nice. But the purple one is my fav, and you look great in it!

Meg said...

Great job on these tops. I'm hoping to knock out a couple knit tops very soon too.

Summerset said...

You've made a lot of cute things recently - good for you! You look great in them.

Myra said...

Nice tops, love the print. I think I bought the teal one or one similar. I just bought a serger, so now I feel more confident trying knit.