Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Vogue sundress - finished!

Yay! It's finished, and I love it. Half and on the old machine, half on the new. I have to say, I love sewing on my new machine. Everything is so much easier. Except - the bobbins.
I have never seen worse looking bobbins in my life. I've double checked how I'm threading and I'm doing it right. This is actually the worst one, but even the good ones aren't that good. I am impressed, however, on the good job my camera did taking the bobbin picture! Haha. Oh well, I WILL get this bobbin issue resolved...

Back to the dress. I really like how it turned out. Even though I lost the directions, I did get it all together, but I'm sure there is an easier way. I did add the bra cups and have made a little picture tutorial here I did also line the skirt with a lightweight poly (Posh, I think) I think I will tack the top of the bodice where it goes up to the strap because it wants to slide down and toward the middle, but I like the way it looks up higher to the shoulder. All in all, I think this is a great dress and would like to make it again. It's perfect for summer.

11 comments:

Bonnie O. said...

That turned out BEAUTIFUL! Necklace is perfect accent for the dress. Well done!

Linda said...

Gorgeous dress. I bet you that one is going to HI with you. I talked to my son today. The weather is perfect as usual. So I know that dress will be perfect for the occasion.

Jada said...

Looks great on you.I like the color too.

Marji said...

Have a great time on your trip!
I left a comment on your dress on PR, but wanted to ask here, is that a Koi pond in your backyard? Last pic in the Picassa album after all the views of your dresses...lovely dress and lovely pond. So serene looking.

Nancy Winningham said...

Hey Marji -
Actually, that's our swimming pool. It is small (about 17000 gallons) but the perfect size for us. It is peaceful and we love it. Thanks for asking

Lisette M said...

Beautiful dress, it is on my list. It is great to see it made up.

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
Lovely dress and lovely pool..
Your bobbin looks just like mine did when I wound it from the horizantal spool holder..you might try winding your bobbin from the vertical spool holder..if your machine has one..

I am so happy your dress turned out so well for you!
AND have a great time On your vacation!!

mysandrasdaughter said...

Hi Nancywin! Thank you for your wonderful review of this pattern. I am interested in knowing if you included the facings since you lined the bodice?

Can you share how you constructed the lining with the bodice - or did you use an underlining?

Nancy Winningham said...

I lined the front of the bodice by using the front bodice pieces as a pattern. After sewing in the cups (see tutorial in sidebar) I sewed the CF and then attached the lining to the top and armholes, leaving the bottom and sides open. I basted these openings shut, but left 1" at top of armhole for straps to fit through. I sewed 1" down from the top to make the casing. (I eliminated folding over the casing because I needed that extra inch) Fron this point on, I sewed the lining and bodice as one piece. This left the side seams exposed on the inside, but I serged the one and the other was left open for the zipper. Next I sewed the front to back at the right side sesam and then attached the waist bands to the bodice. Oh, you have to gather the bodice first. I then attatched the gathered skirt to the outer waist band. I had made a lining for the skirt, so I gathered these as one piece. After inserting the zipper, I sewed down the inner waist band by hand. There probably is a quicker way to do this, but I lost the directions. Hope that helps.

Maureen said...

Definitely one to take on the trip Nancy, beautiful! Lets have lunch when you get back...some place cheap, I'm sure we'll both be broke!

mysandrasdaughter said...

This provides more help than you can imagine. A big HUGE thank you hug to you!