Friday, June 26, 2015

Shirr Delight

I solved my shirring  problems, and this is how...
Shirr Delight - Emma's maxi

I bought this machine online several months ago online and was really disappointed.  It had missing prices, broken parts, and was lopsided.  I fixed what I could and put it aside.  Well, I pulled this baby out, loaded a bobbin with elastic thread and did a test run.  Perfect results!

I didn't have to adjust tension or anything.  I just used the longest stitch and used the edge of the pressed foot as a guide for spacing.
Here is the front
 and the back

It's important to keep the fabric flat / stretched out as you stitch.

For this dress I used a narrow serged hem on the top and bottom edges,  using embroidery thread in the upper looper on the hem.

The fabric is left over from a dress I made several years ago.  It is a rayon crinkle.  It has so much crinkle that it acts almost like a knit.

My little 3-1/2 year old granddaughter already has her own sense of style.  She loves maxi dresses, shirring, and drapery fabric, so I'm pretty sure this will be a hit.  As soon as I see her next, I'll take pictures of her in it.  I sure hope its not too long.  I used another dress of hers as a guide, but it was a little short.  I estimated how much longer I needed it to be.  Hope to find out soon!