Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Cupcake Wars

This summer I've decided that I want to find the perfect cupcake recipe.  This is not so good for the waistline, but I have to say the DH is pretty happy about testing these out!

Last week I made some amazing lemon cupcakes, but did not take any pictures.  I will have to make those again now that I have something to compare with and post on the blog.

This morning I made what I'm calling Nancy's Simple Vanilla Cupcakes.  OK, not so original, but it will help me keep track of the recipes!  I looked at several recipes, found what was the same in each, and then adapted the amounts in the other ingredients.  (Same thing for the frosting.)









This did make 12, but we ate some...
Here's my version:

Nancy's Simple Vanilla Cupcakes

1/2 cup softened butter
3/4  cup sugar
2 xlg or jumbo eggs  (we buy local and organic, so it's hard to judge the size.)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup milk ( some recipes said "cold", others "room temp".  Mine was close to room temperature.

  • Preheat oven to 350°F and line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.
  • Using an electric mixer (or by hand), cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time and beat after each. 
  • Add vanilla and milk
  • mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and add slowly to mixer bowl.
  • beat until smooth.
  • Use icecream scoop to fill 12 muffin tins 2/3-3/4 full
  • Bake at 350°F 15-20 minutes, or until slightly golden, and knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  (I used convection, so it only took  10-12 minutes.)
  • Let cool in pan about 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool
  • When completely cool, top with Amazing Cream Cheese Frosting
Amazing Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 8oz package cream cheese
  • 1 stick (1/2 c.) softened butter
  • 2-4 cups powdered sugar (I used about 3)
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  1. cream together cream cheese and butter. 
  2. add vanilla
  3. Gradually add in powdered sugar until you have the desired consistency.  I used about 3 cups
  4. put about 1/3 of the frosting in a pastry bag and cut off the tip (I have these, but I'm sure you could use a quart size ziplock and cut off one corner.  The pastry bags are really worth it though IMHO)
  5. Squeeze frosting onto the top of each cupcake (I used about 2/3 of the frosting I made.  I put the rest in another pastry bag and used a rubber band to close the open end.  This will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.  Let it come to almost room temp and knead it before using again)
  6. Top with colored sugar or sprinkles if desired.
*cupcakes frosted with cream cheese frosting should be kept in the refrigerator.

1 comments:

Mrs K said...

Okay - I just rejoined the gym last week and here you are tempting me with cupcakes!! Actually, I'm not much of a sweet eater but I just 'might" consider making these for DH ;-) Hope you find your perfect recipe.