A while ago, Deepika posted a review for Megan Nielson's Cascade Skirt. I really liked it, and finally bought the pattern. I'm not a big fan of digital patterns. Getting them printed at a copy shop is expensive and putting them together is time consuming. Since I went through putting this thing together, I will definitely make it again!
I have had this Rayon georgette fabric for years! I got it in a rayon mystery bundle from Fabricmartfabrics, probably about 10 years ago. I've never known what to do with it, but when I decided to make the cascade skirt, this was one of the few fabrics I had enough of that was suitable. This skirt takes about 4 yards of fabric! (plus lining if you use it!)
This is the first time I've used a Megan Nielson pattern, and the directions were great. It was easy to put the skirt together, and I liked that she has you use French Seams. I was working with a rayon georgette, so I would have used them anyway, but it's nice to have that finished seam no matter what the fabric. On this type of style, your seams will show.
If you've ever worked with georgette, you know that it is really easy for the fabric to shift while you are cutting it out. I'm always so careful to keep everything on grain, but sometimes, it just doesn't happen. I should have picked up my pattern pieces and recut them, or cut everything in a single layer. Then, maybe, this would not have happened:
I don't know if this happened because the fabric was off grain when I cut it, or something else, but I had to lay this out flat and cut evenly 2" away from the lining all the way around. It was just this one side that was hanging down. Even though it was "fixed" after I wore it today, I can see that it is still hanging down more on that side than on the other side.
Although it doesn't look as noticeable from the back:
Using a rolled hem foot was a real time-saver on this thing. Both the lining and the skirt needed to be done. Even though I had to fight with it part of the time, it still makes a great finish and I love it. I think it's one of those things that the more you do it the easier it gets. That's why I hemmed the lining first!
I'm not sure why this skirt swings to the back. The only way I can think of to correct this is to lift up the CF and wrap edge of the skirt. However, If I do that, the skirt will lose a lot of its drape in the front. I don't like it though, and am not sure how to fix it.
I probably will make this skirt again with a few tweaks. Another thing I will do is lower the waist line on the skirt front edge. The pattern piece really goes up, and this causes the front to move toward the side seam. If I lower the upper edge (essentially taking a dart off the top) this will bring the skirt farther across the front which will keep it from gaping open so easily.
Sunday, June 07, 2015
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 1:56 PM