Saturday, May 02, 2009

I"m not feelin' the love here

I don't know whether it's because I feel like I'm wearing a jacket or because I look like I wall-papered myself, but I'm not loving this top.  For one thing it's too short.  Another thing, the neckline is too high.  It's more comfortable if I leave the top button(s) unbuttoned, but I don't think it looks good.  I also don't like the big buttons on a blouse.

I was going to use this for my white fabric.  I have already made some changes on the pattern
  • shortened the sleeve another inch
  • lengthened the hem another inch
  • narrowed the shoulder
  • lowered the shoulder dart to make it longer
  • recut the neckline to make it 3/4" lower
  • drafted new neck band pieces.
  • increased the bust in the front another 1/2 inch on each side.
But do I want to make it again?  The fabric I had planned for this is really special and I don't want to waste it on something I don't love.  Also, I will have to line the bodice in that fabric, so I don't want to do that extra work if I end up not wearing the blouse.

I have some silk fabric I may try making this again in before I cut into the white fabric.  I will also narrow the distance from CF to finished edge so that I can use smaller buttons.  What do you think? Should I try this again, or scrap it and look for another pattern?

14 comments:

Birgitte said...

LOL- your title combined with the photo and the statement that follows- just couldn't help myself! This does not do you justice, Nancy. You need a more feminine style; open neckline, soft bodice. Also, because the sleeves and hem are near identical in length, it creates a boxy look, Where's your lovely waist?
My opinion; don't make this again. If you want to wear this one, try tucking it in, or roll up the sleeves, and open that top button :))

Adelaide B said...

I agree. Why waste the time, when you can make something great? This shirt does not do you justice.

Myra said...

Because I am thrifty and hesitate to trash something, I would keep it, but "as is" is not right. As Birgitte said, roll up the sleeves and I would use it open, like a jacket, which it appears to be, with a camisole underneath, something with a lace center to soften the look.

Myra said...

But do not waste a fabric you *love* on this pattern!

gwensews said...

It's been my experience that if I don't love the garment right off, I proably won't love it even after making changes.

NancyDaQ said...

I wouldn't make it again if it was something I didn't really like. You may be able to salvage this one, but I wouldn't make another. I'm sure you're like most of us and have a zillion patterns. Surely there's one you'll like better for the "good" fabric.

Lori said...

I agree with the others, use yoru special fabric for another garment. Birgitte stated it perfectly, you need a more feminine style.

goodworks1 said...

You're right. It's not your best look. Don't make another, at least until you love this one! lol

I'd scoop out a lower neckline and add a facing or bind it with a different fabric. And take Birgitte's advice and shorten or fold up the sleeves. Or take Myra's advice and wear it open over a camisole.

Sherril said...

I'm sorry you're disappointed with it. I do think that's a bad neckline shape for you. I wouldn't put any more effort since there are much more flattering patterns out there, probably in your home already.

Elaray said...

Maybe you can wear it like a jacket -- over a cami or tank top.

Mardel said...

I agree with comments above. It is not just the combination of fabric and pattern. I think this is not the best shape/design for you. Just move on to something more flattering and rewarding.

zora said...

Don't waste anymore time on this pattern, it's not the one for you and definitely not the pattern you should use on cherished fabric.
It's too short for you by at least another inch, I agree about the neckline being too high for you, there's something wrong with the sleeves and the overall shape does nothing for you.

Find a fabulous pattern for the fabulous white fabric. Finally a good reason to buy some new patterns!

patsijean said...

This style is a klunker on you. However, it may not be on someone else. I would abandon this project, donate the garment, and move on to another style that will suit your fabric.

Linda L said...

Organizations like Goodwill can use the donation of this. One person's "junk" is another person's treasure. I suggest donating it and someone will get good use from it. I agree with Gwen's comments.