Sunday, May 10, 2009

First Garment for Mini Wardrobe


This weekend I had a date with my sewing machine and I was able to keep it! I did get one thing finished and another started.
I made up this top from BWOF 7/08. I had made it once before, but this time I omitted the zipper and pockets. I also did a slight forward shoulder adjustment. Everything else I left as before, except this time I made it the original length and last time I made it shorter. This is the first time I have made a garment out of silk charmeuse. I have used it for lining a jacket, but that's different. It's amazing that a fabric that is so fluid and lightweight can still have so much body!


I used french seams to finish the inside






and lined the yoke with silk habatoi. I think that a slightly heavier weight habatoi would have been a little better, but this seems to be working fine for now.









































I also really wanted to do something with that last top I made because I just couldn't stand seeing it go to waste, so I decided to cut open the neckline, shorten the sleeves and add trim. It's still not my best look, but at least I will wear it now. I still think I need to change the buttons. I have some ivory/off white buttons I think will look better.

From Summer 09

17 comments:

Uta said...

Gorgeous silk top. Good luck with the rest of your wardrobe!

2BSewing: said...

I like your remake of your button down top. Totally different look that suits you much better. :)

gwensews said...

Nice top. Very pretty. Enjoy wearing it.

cidell said...

I love the silk top. The yoke is such a cool detail. And, that's a great save on the second shirt!

goodworks1 said...

Cidell took the words right out of my mouth! Great Save!

Lisa in Sonora said...

I **love** the silk top!!! Mondo gorge!!!

Chicago Sarah said...

Oooooh Nancy that top is so pretty! You look fabulous in it, ready for a garden party or perhaps a night out on the town... :)

Anonymous said...

Luv it!

Lisa

Faye Lewis said...

I love your silk top and your refashion too. What did you do to the silk one to make not needing a zipper possible?

Sigrid said...

Must look at that pattern again, love the yoke detail on it. Nice top with this fabric. And good save on the other one.

Charlene McGill said...

Your blouse is beautiful.

Karen said...

Beautiful job!

Dr. Bennett said...

THis top is even prettier in person than on your blog. Beautiful, beautiful! And the more I look, the more I woultn't shorten it. :)

Ann Made Studio said...

Love them both. They look great on you. The second one is a super great safe :)

Vicki said...

The silk top is lovely and the saved top is pretty cute too. Thought about red buttons to match the trim?

ClaireOKC said...

Love your BWOF 7/2008 blouse. I'm not much on this style, but not only did you did a great job, but the whole look works....makes me want to try this blouse.

Tany said...

Lovely tops! I really love the first one on you!