Saturday, September 13, 2008

Taa-Daa





This poor thing has been cut out for over a month just waiting to be sewn together.  I finally did it today.  It is another version of Simplicity 4076.  I just did a review on PR, and was surprised to see that this pattern has been reviewed 116 times (well, 117 now)!  















When I made this once before, it was too tight across the bust.  With the shape of the front piece, I couldn't figure out how to do one.  Well, this time I really thought about how the pieces would be sewn together and where the bust point would be.  I knew I needed to add width to the side and length to the front.   This is how I did it.  I probably could have added just a little more width to the side, but this worked.  











I also used FOE (fold over elastic) on the neck edge.  This was my first time using FOE and I did have a little trouble keeping the fabric in the middle of it, but I got it to work.  I used a binding foot, but it might have been  just as easy with a regular foot.  It was still a little low, so I slip stitched the neck edges together to make it a little higher.  Because of the twist, I don't think you can actually alter the pattern to make it higher.







THis fabric is a lightweight knit that I got from Gorgeous Fabrics.  It's part acetate, so it has a little different feel to it, but I like it.


10 comments:

Alison said...

Your top looks great. 4076 is one of my fave patterns.

kbenco said...

Your top looks great. It looks as if it is worth 117 reviews!

Elaray said...

That's a lovely top! The colors look good on you.

Little Hunting Creek said...

That's so pretty! I was puzzling over how to do an FBA on this one. Thank you!

kasizzle said...

Love the print. I also like the idea of the fold over elastic. I'm going to have to find some for myself!

Birgitte said...

That is a super flattering top, you look fantastic.

Maryissewfast said...

Very pretty top! I have been using FOE instead of bias binding and found that if I baste the fabric to the FOE, lining the edge of the fabric with the fold, the final topstitching turns out perfect. Hope this makes sense. Mary

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Cute top and the colors look good on you! I can believe that pattern has been made 117 times...I even own a copy of it!

Meg said...

Cute top! Makes me wish summer would hold on a little longer.

Summerset said...

I love it - so bright and fresh looking. The colors on you are great!