Sunday, September 14, 2008

Singer




I am so excited. Look what I got today! I've been wanting a treadle sewing machine for some time, but never seriously looked. I've seen a few here and there in antique stores, but for some reason I really wanted to get a Singer. I really love the way their cabinets look and the machines are beautiful too. A few weeks ago I saw this at a local antique shop, but they were closed. I went by a few more times, but they were always closed. (apparently they are moving). Well, this weekend, I put a note under the door telling here I was interested and to call me.
As it turns out, this machine had been donated to the local rescue mission, so all the proceeds were to benifit the mission. That made the $150 price tag go down a little easier. I am told that the machine works, but it needs a new belt. I found an online source to order the belt, but I have no idea how to thread this machine or how to work the bobbin - or does it even use one? I have never used a treadle before, but really want to try it. Even if it didn't work, it is so beautiful that I think it is worth it.


























This machine also came with some accessories, but I have no idea what any of them are. I have some more close up pix at my picassa site, so you can leave a mssg there too. I'm hoping that one of the ladies in my church will know how to work this thing and come over and show me! I'd love to make something on it.

10 comments:

Rachael Elswyk said...

I have a singer treadle machine, with all the attachments and an instruction handbook! I'm in Australia, but I could scan some pages if you like?
The handbook is printed in the UK, and has instructions for threading the machine, winding the boobin and altering tension and the like. It also has instructions for using all the attachments.
Email me (rachaelesATgmailDOTcom) is you're interested.

cidell said...

Gorgeous. You know, Trena bought one too about a month ago!

2BSewing: said...

Congrats on your wonderful find. I have been drooling over a similar Singer treadle machine at a local store near me. Unfortunately, it's more for decoration and the owner is not selling. Yours is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

The attachment with the plate that is at 1:00 in the picture looks like my mom's buttonhole attachment - she had a treadle machine that had been made over.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your pretty treadle! By far the best source of info is http://www.treadleon.net/ - I was a member a long time ago when I first got into sewing on treadles. You'll find all sort of info on how to identify your machine and do all the stitching you need - plus how to fit a new belt!

Good luck - I think that the old Singer treadles are great versatile machines with a beautiful stitch.

Summerset said...

Lucky you! I have one, too, but not with the accessories. Mine has a belt, but I think I need a new one. These machines do have bobbins, and I have a couple of those. My sewing machine dealer is an expert in vintage machines, I guess I should bug him about it. One of these days . . .

Birgitte said...

I LOVE this! And I'm curious... where will you keep it? It's too beautiful to be tucked into a sewing room...

kasizzle said...

I have one very similar to yours left to me from my late great aunt.
I've never even considered sewing on it!

Maryissewfast said...

Beautiful Singer. I have my grandmother's which looks like the same vintage as yours. She had an electric motor wired for hers, but I can still operate it with the treadle too (if the power goes out!!!) Mary

carmen said...

Congrats on your beautiful machine. If you are looking for a manual to your machine I recomend the following website.

Go to: http://www.singer.com/index_flash.html

click on North America
click on United States
click on I am looking for: instruction manuals
enter the model number of your machine

This should take you to the instructions for your machine.

Good Luck!
Carmen