Friday, November 23, 2012

the PINK LBD

Here is the "test" for the LBD - but it's in pink!  In my last post I mentioned that I have some issues with this dress.  You can see that there is excess wrinkling above the bust.  I pinched out the princess seams and took them in, but this did not alleviate the problem and now I have wrinkling at the seams!  (I think that's because I tried to fix that without taking out the princess seams before I resewed them.  Oh, well.  I think what I need to do is to fold out about 1/2" horizontally on the center front pattern piece.  That may correct the problem.  Also, I think this is what is causing the neckline to ride up so high.






You can see in the back view that I also have some wrinkling above the waist.  I don't know why I didn't think to do a sway back adjustment on this before I cut it out.  If I make it again, I will definitely correct that.















So, here is my question.  I'm not sure if this is a flattering style on me.  I thought the shoulders would appear wider and be a better balance for my hips.  I like the fit of the dress everywhere except from the bust to the neck in the front.  I have some beautiful black wool and silk lining that is just waiting to be made into a LBD!!  Now, do I:

  • make this again with the above mentioned changes?
  • lower or change the neckline?
  • Hem length:  whether I use this pattern or another, should it be a couple of inches longer, shorter, or the length it is?  I've seen some longer looking dresses (think 40s) that look pretty hot, but then I'm also wondering if it would be more flattering shorter.
Would love to hear some input since I'm getting none at home - hehehe (daughter doesn't like anything I make and DH is blind - he tells me everything looks great - or to wear nothing at all!!)

So what do you think?  Go with this?  Another pattern?  What changes?






Thanks for your help :-)

11 comments:

Helen said...

hello, I have de-lurked to say I think the neckline would be prettier if it was a titch lower. otherwise it's lovely, including the colour. thanks for sharing, I love reading your blog.

Nancy K said...

Lower the neckline a bit and shorten to mid knee and it will be perfect.

jillnjosh said...

Nancy, have you considered the fact that you might have a "hollow" chest? That was the first thing that came to mind when you said it fit fine except that there was too much fabric (previous post). Check out the Sew News article on hollow chests, and see if that might address your issue.
http://www.sewnews.com/content_downloads/Fit_for_You_Hollow_Chest_May1999.pdf

Juliane said...

This is very flattering on you! Perhaps if you lower the neckline 1/2 at center front it would help a bit. Love the length on you too. Fabulous!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

First can I say that the dress looks good on you and will only look better once you made your changes to the pattern - lowering the neckline, making it mid-knee. But I want to reiterate that this is very pretty on you now.

Little Hunting Creek said...

I like the dress on you. I agree that the neckline would be more flattering if it were lower. I would shorten the dress a bit, but that is a personal preferi

fourkid said...

If you wear this out as is, no one would think twice about it. If you like making this dress and enjoy weraing it, then by all means make it up in black. You will find as you make it over as a T&T pattern, you will continue to perfect areas with each make. On this one, I would lower the neckline a tad on the next rendition and enjoy it.
Blessings,
Patti

Anonymous said...

Also delurking to urge you to make again, as I really like it. A sway back adjustment and a little more fit above the bustline and it would be perfect. LauraUK

Mariela Alethia said...

Lower the neckline a little and shorten to above the knee. Otherwise the dress is very figure flattering

Mary said...

In the solid color, the neckline is a tad high, but in a print I think it would be fine. I like the length as is. It is a flattering dress on you.

Anonymous said...

I think the changes would enhance an already pretty dress. It would look great in black (though I do love the pink). If you are unsure, wear the dress out for a day and see if you feel comfortable in the style, but yes, it is flattering on you.
KathrynT