Saturday, November 24, 2012

Ahhh... much better!

It's amazing how just 1/2" can make such a difference.  I'm so happy that I lowered the neckline on this.    It is only 1/2" lower at the CF tapering to nothing at the shoulder, but it feels much better and I think it looks better too.  I'll be wearing it tomorrow, so that will be the true test.  (Funny you never notice how something like your necklace being caught in your dress until after you are finished taking pictures!)


Thank you all for your great input and suggestions on the LPD!  I’ve decided that I am going to go ahead and make the black version with a few adjustments.

I will do:
sway back adjustment
fold out extra fullness above the bust
shorten the dress by one inch
lower the neckline.

After lowering the neckline on this pink dress, I already like it so much more.  It just feels and looks better.  Now I am anxious to make it up in the black wool.




This morning I made the little jacket that goes with this.  I like it, but probably would not make it again.  I always have problems with double breasted anything hanging right.  This does have an inside button at the top, but still it doesn’t hang like I would like it to.  It is cute and comfortable though, so I know I will wear it with the dress.  I know that some days at work I never take my jacket off because it is just a little too cold for me.  This will be perfect for that sort of thing.  You can see on the dress form (it's inside out) that it has nice wide facings in the front.  I like that.







Even though this jacket is full and not fitted, I knew I would still need to do a FBA.  I have made the mistake of not doing it on things like this before, and the biggest problem is that they ride up in the front.  I did a combination of pivot and slide adjustments to widen at the bust and lengthen the front.  I could not do a normal FBA since there are no darts in this.  I'm please with how that part of it came out.












I was thinking about doing Hong Kong finish on the jacket seams since this is an unlined jacket.  But then, the directions suggested turning under and stitching the seams.  I did that and I like it.  I wish I would have done something similar with the armhole seams, but since they were double stitched and pressed toward sleeve, I just pinked them.  Normally on an unlined jacket I like to bind the armhole seams, and I kinda wish I would have on this one.  Oh well, no one will be looking at my armhole seams I hope!  The jacket went together quickly and easily - my kind of jacket!








I’m wearing this little ensemble to church tomorrow, so we’ll see how I like it after that.  I’m liking it a lot right now.


















Back view.  The pictures didn't come out too well, but you can get a general idea of the silhouette.  I think the jacket would be a bit more flattering if it were a little shorter.
Thanks again for all of you who shared your input.  It was very helpful!

5 comments:

Mrs K said...

Very nice outfit!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Nice ensemble outfit and you can get a lot of use out of the jacket separately, too.

Anonymous said...

The outfit looks great! The ensemble is very nice and you can get a lot of use out of the jacket separately, too.

Nancy K said...

It's those little details that really make the difference. Lowering the neckline makes a big difference.

Mary said...

Super outfit, and it *does* look eve nicer with the neckline lowered.