Sunday, July 31, 2011

Boatneck Top

I bought Christine Johnson pattern 311 for the boyfriend jacket, but it also came with a nice little boat neck shell. I decided to give it a shot. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a few 1 yard pieces of ITY knit from Fabric.com just to make some tanks and tops to wear under jackets or alone.

This was super simple to make - only a front and back piece. The armholes and neck edge are just turned under and stitched. I did this on my coverstitch, but I still don't have enough confidence with that to just turn and stitch so I pressed all the edges under first. This took a bit of time since polyester doesn't press well unless you use a clapper or something similar.

I'm finally figuring out to look at clothes that I already have and like to get some measurements from . This is what I did on this one.

To get the correct size, I took my fabric and wrapped it around me to the desired ease. I then measured the fabric edge and this became my finished bust circumference.

To get the hip size, I took a favorite top and measured the width. I also measured the length from the armscye down to make sure it would be long enough. I think I added 4" to this pattern. I also liked the wider hem on my RTW top, so I added enough to make a 2" hem on this top.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the result and will probably wear it to work tomorrow. That's right, I go back to work (officially) tomorrow. Kids don't come until Thursday, but our district starts ridiculously early. I still need more summer vacation!!!

6 comments:

Maureen said...

I LOVE the top Nancy.....and my condolences on school starting:(

Dana said...

Great looking and fitting top! Wow, you really are going back to school early.

Linda T said...

Bummer--back to work so soon. Definitely not enough summer time off! Top is a winner!

Beth H said...

Looks great! I really like your haircut, btw!

Summerset said...

I think it is great - simple and perfect for those smaller cuts of knits.

gwensews said...

Terrific top! That Boyfriend jacket is a favorite of many people who use Christine's patterns.