Yesterday DD and I went to JoAnns to pick out some patterns. She picked out this one and some fabric. I cut it out last night and made it up this morning. I really like the way this turned out. It is so cute! Super easy top to make if you don't mind putting binding around armholes and the neck. Still, it's all sewn by machine, so there was no hand sewing whatsoever. I finished all the exposed seams with the serger, so that also helped make it a quick project. I like it so much, I can see a few of these in my own wardrobe this summer!
The steps are easy on this one. First you gather the front neckline then sew the CF up to the dot. You just double turn under the raw edge to get the slit in the front. Then, sew front to back at shoulders and sides. Sew the binding to the neck edge and then sew the binding to the bottom. I do like the way they have you sew the binding to the inside first, then bring it around to the right side and topstitch it in place. The bottom band is cut on the bias, so it uses more fabric than you would expect - I think it called for 7/8 yard!
I am starting a summer sew along on PR because I need to be thinking ahead to summer. I really need some tops and shorts for warmer weather.
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 5:15 PM