Saturday, April 30, 2011

M6035 - the Ugandan way


In Uganda, you often see women wearing a skirt with matching top in African print. Well, I finished M6035 and will be making a matching skirt before I go. As I said in my last post, this fabric is thinner than what they usually use for dresses, but that is fine with me because it will also be cooler! This will also be a top that I can wear to work or even on the weekends and be comfortable. I must say that the fit is much better now, and maybe I should have just started with a 12. normally that is too big in the upper chest and back, but even though I made the sleeves bigger, they still bind when I reach forward. I would like to make it again with different sleeves. I do like the fit of this blouse now that I widened it a bit, lengthened the front, and only used 1/2" SAS on the vertical seams. For me - this pattern is a winner!





















I had problems cutting this out because not only is this fabric unstable (loose weave and hard to keep the lengthwise and cross grains perpendicular, it is also printed way off grain as you can see in the picture. funny, the vertical lines are straight, but the horizontal lines are way off.

7 comments:

Alexandra said...

It looks really pretty! Glad you got the fit worked out. Where do the sleeves bind?

Nancy Winningham said...

The sleeves bind on the armband when I reach forward. If I push them up, that doesn't happen, but I'm not pushing them up everytime I want to reach! I think I'll just try a different style sleeve.

Summerset said...

Look great and sounds like you're on your way to having a great pattern, and another sleeve is a good option.

Dana said...

Great blouse! Too bad about the sleeve fit because when your arms are down they look really cute!

Elaray said...

The fit looks great on this blouse. How did you cut it when the print was so off grain?!?!?

Miriam in KS said...

You could leave off the sleeveband and just make three small tucks--one at the center and then one on either side of it. I did this with a dress which had similar sleeves. I pinched out a bit for each tuck, stitched it up no more than 1.5 inch and then hemmed the sleeve with a shallow hem. It worked and looked great! If the sleeve isn't long enough without the sleeveband, you could add length to it too before making the tucks. The breeze up the sleeve was refreshing too!

I love this blouse on you!

Sue said...

Love the fabric, the pattern and the fit - it is all working for you!