Well,I finally got started on the FSG1945 jacket. I had already traced the pattern, but I wanted to add length to it since when I originally traced it, I had made it shorter. Also, for some reason, I had lowered the waist one inch when I traced it the first time. I had to change this back as well. I started to lay out my pattern, and realized that I needed to do a single layout. This fabric is really unstable, and I didn't realize how uneven the plaid is. Not only is it a one way plaid, the repeat is about every 18". I'm really glad I bought extra fabric, because there is no way I could have gotten this laid out otherwise. As you can see from this picture, I had to lay some pieces out in the middle of the fabric in order to get the lines to match. I still need to cut out all the pockets, collars, and back facing. Next I will fuse interfacing and underlining. I probably won't cut the lining until after I make the shell of the jacket. Oh, those are not the same two pattern pieces in the picture, One is the jacket front and the other is the facing. I do think I cut some pieces longer than the others, but I'm sure I will shorten the whole thing a little bit anyway, so it will all come out even.
**Oh, and side note from the previous post. I found the missing jacket fabric! It didn't really run away from home, it was in the very last box I put away! After I work out all of the fit issues in this version of 1945, I will make another one in the run-away fabric!
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 11:38 PM