Friday, July 11, 2008

It's Time for a New Dress!



I haven't made a dress in a long time, and I love a dress. So, it's time to make one. Also, today is my birthday, and I want to finish this dress to wear out to dinner tonight.

I'm making dress 118 from the June 08 BWOF. Their website has the July mag up, but June is not yet in the archives. I didn't think I would have a link for you, but then I remembered to check the German site, and here it is. The interesting thing about this dress is the waist treatment. The first thing you do is make two very long "buttonholes". THese are for the tie to go through. Then you gather the CF at the upper edge, and above and below the tie openings. Next, you make pleats at the neck and at the waist. These are stitched down. I'm really liking the way this looks, even though it is kind of hard to tell from the picture. The fabric is a cotton lawn that I got at Fabric Fabric at WCPR weekend. I love how soft it is, but when I washed it, it got really creased and wrinkled, although they ironed out pretty easily. Last year I made a shirt out of Japanese cotton lawn, and it is one of the best fabrics I've ever used. It is 100% cotton, but it never needs ironing and is always smooth. I wish all cotton would behave like that! Anyway, this dress looks like it will be pretty easy, and I think I've got the most time consuming part done. The dress calls for a side zipper, but I don't think I will need it. I will baste the side seam first and see if I can get it on without one first. I really don't like the feel of a side zipper in soft fabrics.

Oh, and yes, the pool is looking better now. It was 107 yesterday, and may be hotter today. I'll probably go take a dip as soon as I finish this post!










Birthday Challenge - since today is my birthday, I'm sending you a challenge. Find a picture of great looking birthday cake and send it to me at nwinning at gmail dot com. It can be pretty, funny, silly, whatever. I love to look at pictures of cakes so it will be fun to see what you come up with. In a few days, I'll post my favorites. Have a great day!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! One of my favorite sites is Pink Cake Box (http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/), I absolutely drool over her cakes! Here's one of my favorite: http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/party-dress-cake-2008-05-17.htm

Christina said...

Happy Birthday Nancy! I love the idea of making a new dress for your special day.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Happy Birthday!

Nancy K said...

Happy birthday! Can't wait to see that dress on you. Enjoy dinner.

Summerset said...

Happy Birthday! That's some really gorgeous fabric, too, you'll be stunning!

Marji said...

Happy Birthday!! Mine is Sunday. I'm going to go internet looking for cakes and will return.
Oh, great Idea on a dress for yourself - I might just copycat you!

Claire S. said...

Happy Birthday ! I love the fabric for the dresss.

Sigrid said...

Happy birthday. Have a great dinner.

Marji said...

Did you know that it's Lisa Laree's b'day today too?

toy said...

Happy, happy birthday, hope you have fun

Maureen said...

Happy Birthday Nancy....where are you guys going for dinner?

kbenco said...

Happy Birthday Nancy. I love the Burda dress, it is on my to do list for summer, so I am really pleased that you are making it first.
Here is a birthday cake for you. I made this for my daughter's 12th birthday and it was a hit (sorry about the pun)
http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=43918§ionname=food.
Karen

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday!