Saturday, July 12, 2008

BWOF dress finished


Yesterday my birthday did not start out the best, but ended on a good note. The day began with the dog throwing up at 4 am and me stepping in it. That kind of set the tone for the day! I had a migraine most of the day, so I did not finish my dress. I didn't even notice until this morning that I had sewn the two fronts and backs together at the shoulder seams instead of sewing the front TO the back. I even lined it that way!! I keep telling myself "never sew when you have a headache," but apparently, I don't listen to myself. Anyway, there were numerous things like that throughout the day, and I didn't even want to go out to dinner when it got to be that time, but I'm really glad I did because we had a good time. One of Andy's colleagues and her husband took care of Dobby when we were in Hawaii, so we offered to take them out to dinner as a thank you. As it turned out, the only night that seemed to work for all of us was last night. I'm glad it did, because I really had fun. We went to a local favorite called "Fugazzis". The have really great food and kind of an artsy atmosphere. The way the building is painted inside makes me think of Henri Matisse. I had seared ahi tuna, and Andy had the pecan crusted halibut. Both were really good. This was dessert:

It was really good, but very rich and sweet. All four of us split it, and we still didn't finish it!



This morning I got up and fixed the shoulder problem on my dress and finished it. I will wear it to church tomorrow. I am on one of the worship teams at our church, and it is our turn to sing tomorrow. I'm really liking this dress. I did put the zipper in the side. I don't really need it to get the dress on, but it sure makes taking it off a lot easier!
















Thanks so much to all of you who sent me birthday greetings! When I was growing up, birthdays were always really special. We got to choose what we wanted for dinner (I always chose pizza, which we only had about one or two times a year in those days), what kind of cake we wanted, and there were always little things that made it special. When you become an adult, people don't always make such a fuss over your birthday. My brothers are great and always call me on my birthday and I did have a couple of dear friends call, and that made my day too.















Some of you found the most awesome cake pictures!!! I will have to download some of them and make an album just to share. But there were two sewing related cakes that I will post. The first one came from StacySews. This is from a website called The Pink Cake Box. If you have the time, go to their website and check out the many beautiful and unusual cakes. It amazes me what people can do with frosting!












This one was sent to me by Marilyn B. It is from a website called Collette's Cakes. She has some creative and funky cakes on her site... I also got pictures of many other cakes including a pinata cake and a toilet! I'm a sucker for fondant frosting cakes, but I've never actually had one. I do think they look amazing though!

13 comments:

Cennetta said...

Happy Birthday! Great looking dress and very flattering.

Nancy K said...

Great dress. Glad your birthday turned out better than it started!

Birgitte said...

Happy Birthday, Nancy!
Your dress is wonderful, and you accessorized it perfectly, you look so pretty.

The cakes look too beautiful to eat.

Maureen said...

We want to see the toilet cake!!!!


...who would send you that :)

Cherie said...

Great dress, and it looks terrific on you. Great shoes also, are they new?

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

happy birthday Nancy .... ahh .. and their dress is very beautiful. hugs, Paco

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Glad that your birthday turned out better than it began! And here's hoping you have a wonderful year!

I really like the new dress and your shorter haircut!

Kitty Couture said...

Happy belated birthday, Nancy!
Your dress is beautiful.

LauraLo said...

Happy birthday, Nancy! I'm glad that after a bad start, your day was fun. Your dress is lovely!

Summerset said...

What a great ending to your day! Your new dress is so cute, too.

Nancy Winningham said...

Thanks for all of your comments and birthday wishes! I wore the dress all day yesterday and I loved it. I may have to make another! THe shoes, well, I got those last summer at Payless Shoe source. These were cheap, cute, cool and I can even wear them all day at work and they don't hurt my feet. How can you beat that?

Vicki said...

Belated happy birthday! Shame the day was not the best.

loopylulu said...

Happy Birthday!