I finally did it. It's finished, and I don't even know if I like it. For one thing, this neckline is low and wide, which really limits the tops you can wear with it. It doesn't look right with a shirt or even anything with a collar. Maybe mine is too tight. And that's another problem. It seems a bit snug across the back. I made a 38 and did FBA and even sewed smaller side seams and widened the sleeves, but it still seems a little tight if I reach forward. The fabric is really warm, which maybe wasn't the best choice since the jacket is so open - more of a blouse than a jacket really. Maybe I need to just hang it in my closet for a while and try it again later.
Here are some pictures of the inside lining. I like how they have you sew the peplum to the bodice and the lining to the upper lining all in one step. It really turns out nicely.
This pattern was rated a 2.5 dot on the Burda difficulty scale, but I would say it is no less than a 3. The pleating was very time consuming and required a bit of adjusting. Sewing on the sleeve bands and belt had to be done mostly by hand, and the belt itself was a little challenging if you've never made one before. I really did have fun with the eyelets, and now that I've had to buy the tool, I will be on the lookout for more ways I can incorporate these in my sewing. I used to do a lot of scrapbooking, and I loved using eyelets on the pages and in cards.
I'm also trying to decide if this jacket would look better with a couple of big buttons in the front. I did make covered snaps, because even though I was able to get black snaps, I felt they would really look ugly and stand out if the jacket were unbuttoned. I didn't have any black organza, so I used chiffon instead. It was really quite easy to do. I found a washer that was aprox. 2 times the diameter of my snaps, so I traced around that and cut out a circle of chiffon. I then took tiny running stitches around the edge - just like making a yo-yo. I then put the snap inside the circle face down, and pulled the stitches up so that the fabric encircled the snap. I took a couple of stitches on the backside to pull it all together and keep it snug. I really like how it makes the snaps blend into the fabric. I only did this on the bottom half of the snaps. I thought 2 layers of fabric might make it difficult for the snaps to stay shut, and also, the top snaps are on the underside of the garment, so I don't think they will show.
Well, my daughter went crazy with the camera, so here are a few more pix.
Saturday, October 27, 2007
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 10:55 PM