Well, I stayed up util 11:30 last night and finished everything except the button holes, buttons and belt loops. I finished those before church this morning. I am so pleased with my finished coat! The lining is beautiful and just looks liquid. I wore it to church this morning and it was very warm and comfortable.
I struggled with the lining yesterday. I have never sewn this type of a lining before and I couldn't figure out what to do with the part of the front that extended beyond the shoulder seam. I finally decided to line up the facing at the shoulder seam and about where the second button would be on the coat facing. I then just ignored the edge of the fabric and sewed a seam allowances width from the facing, ignoring the edge of the lining. I didn't even trim off the excess, I just left it as an excessive seam allowance since it is inside the coat anyway. I'm sure I didn't do it "right", but it looks good now and the fit is right. **I have to tell you that I just got an email from Nancy Erickson from Fashion sewing group. She has been so supportive, and as I guessed, the excess in the shoulder seam was my own blunder. I failed to mark the pleat line on pattern, so did not make the pleats. No wonder it didn't line up correctly! Oh well, I won't be making that mistake again - and thanks again to Nancy for taking the time to view my blog and trouble shoot for me!
I stitched the hem and sleeve hems by hand and folded down a jump hem. I made thread loops for the belt loops since I thought that the self-fabric would be too bulky. I am already anxious to get on to my next project (a wool skirt from a BWOF pattern) but have to do some schoolwork instead. I will definitely sew this pattern again, and next time it will be MUCH easier! BTW, I am now the queen of ripping out mis-sewn seams!
Sunday, January 21, 2007
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 2:14 PM