Thursday, April 21, 2022

All Well Box Top

A few weeks ago I came across the All Well Box Top pattern, and I have become obsessed with it.



For some reason, I couldn't stop thinking about it and HAD to have it.  It is a very simple pattern, but something about it made me keep thinking about it and wanting to make it when I was working on other projects.  So, yesterday I finally made it.


This is just a basic quilting cotton that I used to see how I like it.  According to the size chart, I need a size medium going to a large at the hip.  I think if I make the dress or tunic length, I would need to taper to the large.  I did in this one, but didn't need to.  I did not add darts or any kind of FBA to this.  What I did do though, was to make a 1/2" seam down the back to take out 1" extra fullness.  I have a narrow back and often have to do this - especially in boxy or loose fitting garments.  As you can see in this photo, the neckline is not in place as it should be.  I should probably cut the small in the neck and then taper out to the medium at the bust. 
Another thing I had to do was to cheat on fabric.  I did not have what was required, so I could not cut out both of my pattern pieces.  I even tried a single layout, and that didn't work either.  I ended up making a horizontal seam across the upper back to make a yoke.  Doing this allowed me to cut out everything in one direction , even though I was not using a one way print.

The cool thing about this pattern is that it comes with a hacking guide that gives you even more options than those of the original pattern.  I think this will be a fun one to fool around with.

I bought some terra cotta colored flannel that I plan to use next for a long sleeved version.


1 comments:

Karen Shannon said...

Your top is beautiful. I love the choice of fabric and the is great pattern. And you look amazing and fabulous in it. Great job.