I got this pattern over a month ago, and have been really wanting to make it, but life keeps getting in the way. Well, I finally got the time and got up the nerve to cut into some RPL that I've had for a long time. I didn't really have anything to muslin these pants, so I had to just give it a shot.
- I went by pattern measurements and decided to cut a medium, which is a 40" hip. I made it as is with no changes. Blech!
- This came out TOO BIG. Well, I'm not sure if everything is too big, but it is supposed to b e a lowered waist and it came all the way to mine. Also, the waist was as big as the hips (even with the tiny darts in the back) so there were major gathers at the waist. I really didn't want a pant that came to my waist, so I cut off the whole waistband, which lowered the waist by a little more than 2" I've made that adjustment on my pattern, plus will take an additional 1" off the front
- Even with this change, there is still the problem of major baggy butt.
- So, remembering all of the Peggy Sager's webcasts on pants, I took a dart across the seat, really thinking this would NOT help, but being the obedient seamstress that I am, I decided to try it anyway. Well, as you can see in this picture, the side on the right, which I pinned, is much better than the left. Now I've made this adjustment on the pattern as well.
- The pants still seem to big in the legs (and I've got big legs!) I was really expecting them to be much narrower at the hem. I've traced the smaller size onto my pattern, but not sure if I want to cut it yet. I still have enough of this fabric left to make another pair, so I don't really have anything to lose. The pattern said it would take 1-7/8 yards of 60", but my fabric was only 58" and I was able to squeeze it into 1.25 yards! Now that's what I like!