Sunday, August 03, 2014

Simplify Your Life

This is the Simplify Your Life pattern from Cutting Line Designs.  I am always attracted to and inspired by CLD and Sewing Workshop patterns.  I love both versions of this top.  On the envelope.  For some reason, I always feel like I should look more like the drawing or model when I make the garment, but I never do.  I made view A, which is the button front.  I used a turquoise linen from my favorite linen source Fabrics Store.  
I'm very happy with the way it turned out, just not so much the way it looks on me.  I did make some adjustments to the pattern and will make a few more when I make it next time.  This time I:
  • cut a size small according to my measurements.
  • Did a full bust adjustment as shown by Louise Cutting on Threads Insider.  I did a 1.5" length adjustment only.  The width was already OK.
  • I shortened the sleeves by 1"
  • I raised the armhole by about 3/4 inch and took in the waist 1/2" at each seam for a total of 2" reduction.
  • I made a split hem.  It was pulling at my hips and forcing the pleat in the front to pull to the side.
Next time I am going to:

  • Narrow the shoulder about 1/2" 
  • Shorten the sleeve even further
  • move the top button up just about 1/2 further so that it doesn't pull at the top
Any other suggestions?

The first time I make a pattern, and especially if it is the first time from a new (to me) pattern company, I like to make it exactly as the directions say.  I often learn new techniques this way.  For some reason, I really had trouble understanding how to line up the pleat on the front of this thing.  I could have done it my way, but I was trying to follow the thinking of the designer.  I just couldn't get it.  I finally asked SewTerri from Artisan's Square for help.  I knew she had made this particular top before and she has made many CLD patterns.  She generously sent me pix of the inside of one of hers.  I could see what mine was supposed to look like and was able to fix it.  I'm still not sure of where I messed up, so I guess I'll have to make it again if for no other reason but to find out what I did wrong!!

The pants I'm wearing with this are the Mimosa pants from The Sewing Workshop.  I thought they fit really good - but the camera doesn't lie!!  I definitely need to take a dart across the top between the butt and waist.  Also, it looks like I need to add a little at the butt for fullness.  I'm not really a fan of this shaped leg, so I may or may not make these again.  I already have short legs.  I don't need anything to make them look shorter.
 The pants were easy and went together really fast, so I may work on taking them in to be more fitted from the hip to the knee and see what happens there.

What do you think?










2 comments:

birdmommy said...

I think the top is cute with the changes you've made, but I'd probably wear it with a more fitted bottom.

Unknown said...

You look very cool and relaxed in your new top.