Saturday, August 04, 2012

Bombshell progress - outer bodice

I have finally completed the outer bodice on this dress.  One of the recommended materials for supporting the bra cups is needle punch.  Gertie also says you can use cotton batting, and that in fact, it may be better because it is more breathable.  Well, I had some "Warm and Natural" on hand, so that is what I used.  Unfortunately, this batting tended to stretch rather than shrink even after multiple steaming and pressing sessions.  I think it will still be OK, but I now wish I would have used some fusible fleece or at least interfacing on the cup pieces.  The cups are a little lumpy and not as smooth as I would like them to be.  Other than that, I think it looks pretty good so far.  (That's not saying that it's going to fit or stay on the way I want it to.)  I watched the next session of the video lessons today, and the next part will be the skirt.  I really wanted to get that cut out today, but I really over did it on my feet the last few days.  I had surgery on both feet on June 28, but they just aren't ready for standing up all day yet.  Today I've spent most of my day with my feet UP.

I haven't decided whether to put a strap on this dress or not, but I saw in the video that one of the dresses had a removable strap, so I may go with something like that.


Clever Blonde -Donna G said...

It looks really great. One of the best I've seen. I really like the fabric choice. I don't think I any where near good enough to make one.