Tuesday, August 10, 2010

jazz dress


I finally got to do some sewing! I spent a lot of time this summer reorganizing and rearranging my sewing room. I'm not done, but at least it is back to being functional again. I'd really like to paint in there, but that will have to wait a couple of months.

I saw on Carolyn's blog that there is a sewalong for Butterick 5147

I have had this pattern for a long time, but never got around to making it. Although I did not join the sew-along, I decided to go for it. Last spring I bought some fabric with jazz instruments on it and even bought lining to go along with it. So, since I already had everything I needed, including the invisible zipper and thread, I had nothing to hold me back!

It took me a few hours to trace out this pattern even though it was only 2 pieces. I have trouble doing a FBA on dresses with vertical and horizontal darts and making them look smooth. I still didn't get it exactly right on this one, but I think I've got the adjustments down now so that the next time it will look even better. I also did a high round back adjustment, a swayback adjustment, and had to go up from a 10 to a 16 from shoulder to hip. Making the right combination of alterations in the right order can make a big difference in fit.

This dress has a slit in the back and the instructions for the lining give it a nice finish. I like the fact that it is completely lined and I am happy with the way the invisible zipper turned out. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the dress. I will make it again, but I will go about an inch shorter next time.



































































Next up = I'm working on this bathing suit. I am going to make the strapless maillot version.
It's Kwiksew 3503

8 comments:

Gail said...

Good to see you back. You've done a great job with the dress. I love the whimsy of the guitars on the fabric.

Faye Lewis said...

Your sheath dress turned out really nice.

SEWN said...

Great dress! I love the fabric. You should definitely add it to our flickr group on the sew along!

Linda T said...

The dress looks great!

Elaray said...

I LOVE that yellow-gold fabric. The dress fits perfectly. i can see you greeting your class in that dress!

Shannon said...

Your dress looks great. But, I do agree, a bit shorter would help show off the gams!!

Cennetta said...

Great looking dress, Nancy. I have mine cut and ready to sew.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is so pretty on you!