Well, first of all, just let me say that it will always be BWOF to me. I don't care that they changed their name, I will probably always think "BWOF" Besides, who wants to go back to each issue and think "Oh, is this Burdastyle or BWOF?" Anyway, back to the top.
I had seen another review for this on PR and decided to check it out. I had fabric that I knew would work and the only thing I had to buy was the elastic.
I'm really glad I made this top. I had a few little struggles and put it aside for a couple of days. But, finally, I figured out what to do and got it finished. I'll probably wear it tomorrow to a Fourth of July BBQ since it will be hot outside for sure.OK, here was the problem, due to my "wrong-thinking" I decided that since this was a strapless top and there were no shoulders or upper bust area to worry about that I would just go by bust size. Well, that wasn't a good idea. While the top circumference is fine, I needed more room in the front and less in the back. Consequently, the side seams are slightly forward, but not noticeably. The big thing is that there was not enough fabric to go over the bust. Had I tissue fit this, I would have seen that. but, since the front of bodice was already sewn together (6 layers of fabric) I did not want to take it apart and cut a new underbodice piece. I did make the bodice lining bigger and I figured that would work if I did not attach the lining to the bodice at the bottom and used the lining more like a shelf bra. But, the more I thought about it, I didn't think that was what I wanted to do. Instead, I added a 2" wide strip at the bottom of the bodice, sewed it with a 1/2" seam, and then cut it away to nothing at the side seams. This worked, but only because it was a knit and the darts are covered with the crossover pieces. The darts are too high. But in this top, it's no big deal. It still fits great and is very comfortable.
One thing different about this pattern is the way the elastic is done. The lining is sewn to the bodice and then the lining is turned up and sewn at the edge of the seam allowance for a casing. Since I only used 1/2" seam allowances instead of 5/8", it made it a little tricky. The pattern called for 3/16" elastice, but I used 1/4". If I make this again, I may use 3/8" elastic for a little more strength.
This is a great pattern and sews together pretty quickly if you don't screw around with it like I did. There are LOTS of layers in the bodice, so be sure and use a very thin knit. The knit I used reminds me of "onionskin" - it was a mystery knit that I picked up at a cheap price in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. It never even made it into the fabric cabinet! (I wish I would do that more often.
I'm really in a sewing mood and would love to make up about a dozen knit tops of different styles, but I've been spending most of my time getting my classroom in order and now it will be my house. I am having knee surgery on Wednesday and I am the only one in my house who drives right now. I guess I'm going to have to learn to sew with my left foot since the surgery will be on my right knee :-)
OH! I got this in the mail the other day. Now I have something to look forward to reading while I'm stuck with my leg in a machine :-)
Friday, July 02, 2010
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 11:01 AM