Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Vest of a Million Errors


OK, maybe "million" is a bit of an exaggeration, but it took me forever to make this vest because of all the mistakes I made, and now it is too big! Of course, none of these errors are the fault of the pattern. It is all because of the FBA!!! First of all, I made the FBA on the princess the way I always do (or so I thought) You have to change the side front the most, and the center front a little. THis seemed fine, and according to the pattern measurements, I was really hoping it would be big enough. It seemed OK when I checked the tissue. I figured, with it being a vest, if it was a little small, it would be OK, since I wasn't putting buttons on anyway. Then I went ahead and did all the pockets according to the directions.

When I got to the pockets on side 2, I realized that nothing was lining up. The pockets on side two have to match up with the side front of side 2. I hadn't made the same alterations on the pockets that I did on the side front! So, I had to take out the zippers and recut the pocket pieces and do that whole deal over. But, I liked the way it turned out, so I figured all was well.






Now, when you make a lined or reversible vest, the side seams are the very last thing you do. So I have all of these pockets made on the two sides and everything sewn together and turned right side out and am ready to sew the side seams. Hmmm.... my fronts are about an inch longer than the backs. What happened??? I go back and look at my pattern pieces and realize that when I did the FBA on the side fronts, I added 1" all the way across instead of cutting in a wedge. I can't believe it. I have done this alteration many times, and of all times to screw it up, I did it this time. Now what to do? Everything is sewn together except the side seams. Well, guess what, I now have gathers at my side fronts! Oh, well. So it goes. Not only that, but the whole thing is really too big. I will still wear it, but I have already made the adjustments on the pattern pieces so I don't make the same mistakes next time. I really like the idea of this vest and a lot of the pocket creations are pretty clever.

I have never made a Saf T Pockets pattern before, but I thought it was pretty cool the way the whole thing went together and I really enjoyed making it.
The skirt is done too, but I still need to sew on the darn hook and eye. I bought some, but now I can't find them!

The cool thing about this vest is all the pockets
Side one has a credit card pocket that is hidden under the lapel. There also are 2 inseam pockets on this side. Side two has pockets with invisible zippers. You can see all of the pictures on my Picasa album.

Well, at least I finally have something finished for my trip. I have so many things I want to make before I go, and I had a migraine all day today and did not get any sewing done! I still hope I can make a tan colored skirt and a white blouse before I go.

8 comments:

gwensews said...

How frustrating. One thing about sewing--regardless of how experienced one is, once in a while there's going to be a blip! The vest still looks fine, and it's functional.

Lisa said...

You look good. I hope you have a nice trip. It will be fun wearing the clothes you made yourself.

I have a saf-t pattern also, but haven't made it.

Birgitte said...

The vest looks great and the frustrations will soon become a distant memory. I think you did a really good job, Nancy, and it's highly wearable/practical. Here's hoping you get the skirt done in time :))

designdreamer said...

If it's any consolation, it looks like it fits great!

Miriam in KS said...

The gathers are now a "design" feature! Guess you made your own. It looks good and if the weather gets too warm while you are there, you won't be wearing a garment that is too snug to be comfortable.

Summerset said...

Good for you for fixing it! I think it looks great and I'm pretty sure no one in Africa will know what it is supposed to look like. I think you'll get a lot of use out this.

Myra said...

Have a good trip, nominated you for sisterhood award on my blog.

Jenni said...

The vest does look good. I must admit I've just completed a similar project, now nicknamed The Coat of Doom, as anything that could go wrong, did. I've nominated you over on my blog http://sewyld.blogspot.com for a sisterhood award, but checking your commments, you already were nominated. So you are doubly honoured I guess.