Monday, March 19, 2007
Sunday, March 18, 2007
Well, I figure I better blog this before I forget what I've done! Grace came home and I had her try on the dress. It is WAY too big. According to her measurements, she should have been a 12, so that's what I cut out. I ended up taking one full inch from each side seam tapering down to 1/2 inch at the waist. Also, I had lengthened the bodice by about 5/8 inch, but did not need to do that, so I had to alter that too. I also took 8 inches off the length. Of course, she's not available for any pin fitting, so I hope it all fits. If not, I'm throwing it away and not making anything else for her. It's not that she's hard to fit, it's just that she's not that cooperative. It took me three days to get her measurements so I could make the pattern, and then she wouldn't let me take them in her underwear. sheezh... Part of the fit problems are that the rayon is stretching out of shape. I will let it hang overnight before I hem it.
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 4:54 PM
Thursday, March 15, 2007
After reading Kate Mathews' book on Sewing a Travel Wardrobe, I decided to try it for my trip to Hawaii in December. Although the book is a little dated (1999) there is a lot of useful information in the book. Even though I don't care for some of the styles, the concept is good.The one thing that caught my eye is the SiX Yard Travel Wardrobe.
This consists of a dress, jacket, pants, and a skirt. (p.56 in the book) I decided to try this in a tan/brown linen blend. I was hoping to buy a poly linen since it wouldnt wrinkle as mch, but ended up purchasing a linen-rayon blend, which will be very comfortable. I already have Vogue Pattern 8208 and decided to use that for the pants, jacket and skirt. I will use a basic sheath dress pattern for the dress.
In addition to these pieces, the wardrobe also has a dress and blouse out of a cotton print. I've picked out the blouse and dress, but not the fabric yet.
The remainder of the wardobe is made from Rayon Challis. It has a fuller skirt, shorts, sleeveless blouse, and long sleeve blouse. I have not picked the fabrics for this yet either, although I have chosen to use the basics from Easy Sewing The Kwik Sew Way (book with patterns) for the shorts, gored skirt, and blouse. I will probably use another pattern for the sleeveless top, which I still need to scan.
Of course, the first thing I'm doing is making this dress for my daughter out of a red polka dot rayon challis. Her birthday is Monday, so I'm going to try to get it done this weekend.
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 8:01 PM
Well, I finished the blouse and I don'tknow what I was thinking. A little too ingenue for me I believe. Not very flattering either - but it looks good on Myrtle (the dresform). I used my serger for most of it, so other than the gathering (and ripping out) it went together quickly. I'll probably never wear it though.
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 7:48 PM
Well, it seems like this has been a year of surgery for me! I just had my neck operated on for a herniated disk. I can't believe that I'm able to do as much as I can - but sleeping is the hard part. The brace makes it really difficult to get comfortable.
After making the pants from the Burda pattern, I bought more fabric to make 2 additional pair. Well, since the pr is having a “Pattern Stash” contest, each garment must be made from an unused pattern. I decided to try a Simplicity pattern (3845) that I had bought for the blouse, but it also had a pants pattern in it. They turned out well – but I need to loose at least 5 pounds!! There's more info here
I am now in the process of making Simplicity 3887. I am making view A, but using the sleeves from view D. I have had the fabric in my stash for so long, I don’t even know how old it is! It is very sheer – almost a cross between a chiffon and voile – but it is cotton – or a cotton blend. It was so soft, I was having trouble getting the fabric to lie down. I took it to my ironing board and starched it quite a bit. This has made it much easier to work with. I decided to serge the seams rather than doing French seams because some things need to be quick and easy! Besides, I’m not in love with this fabric, so I consider it a “test garment”
Saturday, March 03, 2007
Well, I haven't had much time to post on my blog and I feel like I'm really behind. I have been doing some sewing though. A couple of things that worked out great and a couple of frustrations. The biggest frustration was the HOT PATTERNS Miss Moneypenny Prim and Proper Jacket. I love this jacket style and finally, after 2 muslins, got a great fit on the bodice. However, the sleeves are ridiculously small, and even after increasing them by about 3 sizes, they would be skin tight on my arm with nothing underneath. I could go on and on about this, but I'll save it for another time.
I did finally find a pants pattern that I really like the fit on and it's from the newest Burda WOF magazine, 2-07. Of course, I had to increase the hip and thigh several sizes in order for it to fit everywhere else, but I plan on using this pattern as a base for all other pants patterns. This is the first pair of BWOF pants I have ever made, but I'm really pleased. BWOF loves invisible zippers, but I'm not so sure if its the best for pants. It tends to get stuck right where the waistband seam meets the pants.
The other project that went together well and looks nice is the Bergman Blouse from Loes Hinse patters. I used a waffle-weave silk that I got in a Fabricmart bundle and it might be a little too firm for this project, but it still looks nice. I will definitely make this again. I think it would also be really nice in a knit.
I've been trying to get some sewing projects in because I am going in for neck surgery on Tuesday. I don't know how long it will be before I can sew again. I am determined to find a way!
Posted by Nancy Winningham at 5:52 PM