Saturday, May 12, 2007

What's Wrong with this Top?



I made this top out of this blue cotton before cutting the dupioni for the swap, and I'm glad I did. Unfortunately, I don't like it.
1. I usually start with a 10, but this is a 12. I tried to make it smaller in the shoulders, but I think my alterations are off a little. I plan on making it out of the black and white fabric, so, maybe cut it a little bigger in the side seams.
2. It's too short - I can lengthen it next time
3. The trim is crooked - That was just basted on by hand (except for the ends) so I should be able to adjust it.
4. My DD hates it - OK, I didn't make it for her.
5. I'm not crazy about the fabric or color
6. It just doesn't seem to fit right. I wore it last night and it kept wanting to ride up - I felt like I was tugging at it too much. This must be a fit issue, but I'm not sure what. It wants to ride up and I could take about 1/2 of the top of each shoulder. The problem is, I do not have a high bust, so Iwould have to lower that, which makes the pattern exactly as it is now. I seem to have this problem on fitted dresses. They want to gap out like the shoulders are too high or too big.


7. I think the upper back is too big, but there isn't enough ease across the middle back and bust. I either need to widen the back or make a bigger FBA in the front
.

Sooo - What's wrong with this top?

3 comments:

julia said...

Nancy - I'm not a fit expert, so take this as novice advice. It looks like you're shoulders are narrower than the pattern. If you were to let out the side seams, pinch in at the CB and CF, would it be more comfortable? You might have to add back onto the side seams to get the width you need... I like the color - it would be very nice accent to neutral pants or jacket.

Nancy Winningham said...

I think you're right - I'm cutting and 8 next time

Anonymous said...

I was trying to find a spot to actually write to you, but I'm wondering if you have any advice or somewhere I can look, on how to enlarge a pattern for a larger size. I have patterns for smaller sizes that I want to make for say an older women. Not a young lady. I don't have an account here,..but my email is julietspage1@mail2world.com.
Thanks for any help.
Michelle