I solved my shirring problems, and this is how...
I bought this machine online several months ago online and was really disappointed. It had missing prices, broken parts, and was lopsided. I fixed what I could and put it aside. Well, I pulled this baby out, loaded a bobbin with elastic thread and did a test run. Perfect results!
I didn't have to adjust tension or anything. I just used the longest stitch and used the edge of the pressed foot as a guide for spacing.
Here is the front
It's important to keep the fabric flat / stretched out as you stitch.
For this dress I used a narrow serged hem on the top and bottom edges, using embroidery thread in the upper looper on the hem.
The fabric is left over from a dress I made several years ago. It is a rayon crinkle. It has so much crinkle that it acts almost like a knit.
My little 3-1/2 year old granddaughter already has her own sense of style. She loves maxi dresses, shirring, and drapery fabric, so I'm pretty sure this will be a hit. As soon as I see her next, I'll take pictures of her in it. I sure hope its not too long. I used another dress of hers as a guide, but it was a little short. I estimated how much longer I needed it to be. Hope to find out soon!